We have chosen the name Ayravata because the Burmese name of Irrawaddy (also spelt Ayeyarwaddy from the Pali Eravati) is derived from the name in Sanskrit of the elephant mount of Indra, Airavati (or Ayravata). This Divine Elephant is thought of as the progenitor of all earthly elephants and is understood as the embodiment of the huge clouds pregnant with the monsoon rains. Elephants were in Indian mythology often a symbol for water.
RvPaukan comes after “Paukan Rarma”, the city founded in the 846 AD by KingPyinbyaat to replace the former capital called Thanpawaddy. Paukan Rarma then became Bagan, the capital of the First Burmese Empire founded by King Anawrahta in the 11th Century.
Ayravata Cruises was founded in the 2003 by three Myanmar entrepreneurs with the support and management of a European expert in cruises on Asian rivers. Thanks to the vast experience of the founders in the Myanmar hospitality and tourism business coupled by the expertise of the foreign executive director, Ayravata Cruises is not just a successful cruise operator but a shipbuilder as well.
The company has a total of 122 staff, 111 employed as crew on board the four ships and 11 in the offices of Yangon and Mandalay.
Presently it operates five ships:
- RV Paukan 2007 (a newly built Charming Cruising Boutique Hotel),
- RV Paukan 2012 (A small cruising boutique hotel);
- RV Paukan 1947 (an original Scottish made Colonial Steamer formerly known as Rv Pandaw).
- Rv Paukan 2014 (The Irrawaddy Explorer Cruising Hotel) started operation in September 2014.
- Rv Paukan 2015 (Avalon Myanmar) started operation in October 2015.
Our boutique cruises on the Irrawaddy and Chindwin Rivers will unveil you the Myanmar cultural heritage, the ex Royal capitals, the lifestyle and traditions of the people living along their banks.